Koolkuna Domestic Violence Advocacy Service (DVAS)
The Koolkuna Domestic Violence Advocacy Service specifically focuses on supporting women in the community experiencing family and domestic violence. This includes crisis counselling and safety planning, support through court process, advocacy, referral, information provision and educating the local community about the issues of domestic violence and where they can access services.
The Domestic Violence Advocacy Service (DVAS) has been operating from its own office at Lotteries House in Midland since April 2001 and in April 2007 began providing services from the Midland Police Station 2 days per week with an intention to increase this time and expand the service to Ellenbrook and other East Metro |Police stations in the near future. This service is easily accessible by public transport and is within easy walking distance of a number of important services including the Police Station, the Court, Women’s Health Care Place, Relationships Australia, the Department for Child Protection, Legal Aid, Centrelink and Department of Housing and Works. This maximizes client ability to access the service.
DVAS is firmly seen as a service operating in its own right although there are close links with Koolkuna Women’s Refuge and the Domestic Violence Agencies Network. The Manager of the Organisation meets regularly with the staff for supervision, and the Koolkuna/ERDVSN administrator deals with all the administration, other than client files and statistics.
The DVAS’s primary purpose is to provide information, support, advocacy, referral and education to individuals and communities to enable them to understand the effects of domestic and family violence and make informed choices. It does this in the following ways:
- · Assisting individuals to assess their own circumstances and relationships and make decisions and plans for their future.
- · Providing information to assist individuals and groups to understand Violence and Abuse, Safety Planning and Crisis Intervention
- · Court Support Service to the Midland Court to assist clients applying for Violence Restraining Orders and at Family Court regarding Children’s issues
- · Referrals and Support to Legal Aid and Legal Services
- · Information, Support, Advocacy and Referral to appropriate Government and Community Services
- · Community Education